Kastamonu, the largest Turkish investor in Tatarstan, celebrates its five-year anniversary in Russia | Media about Kastamonu
Back

Kastamonu, the largest Turkish investor in Tatarstan, celebrates its five-year anniversary in Russia

Media

The Turkish company Kastamonu - the world’s leading manufacturer in the wood processing industry - celebrates its five-year anniversary in Russia. Over the years of operations, the plant located in Tatarstan has invested USD 771.8 million in the region, which makes it the largest Turkish investor in the Republic and the second resident of the Alabuga SEZ in terms of investments.

The Kastamonu plant that produces MDF and HDF boards and laminate floorings was opened in Yelabuga in 2014. The designed capacity of the plant is 1.05 million m³ of MDF boards per year. The company is the leader of the Russian market of laminate floorings, taking up 20% of its volume. With the plant opened, 930 new workplaces were created directly in the production, and 2,500 in related and service industries - logging, transportation, furniture industry.

“Products produced by Kastamonu at the Tatarstan’s plant are in high demand both in internal and external markets: about 60% of products are sold in Russia, the remaining 40% are exported to more than 20 countries in Asia and Europe, which prove compliance with high European standards,” noted Albert Karimov, Deputy Prime Minister of the Republic of Tatarstan and Minister of Trade and Industry of the Republic of Tatarstan.

“Turkish business is strategically important for the economy of the Republic of Tatarstan. Ali Kılıç, General Director of Kastamonu in Russia, plays a significant role in increasing the investment attractiveness of the region and expanding Turkish business in our Republic: it is largely thanks to him that Turkish investors, following a successful example, invest and localize production in Tatarstan. Today Turkey is the main international investor in Tatarstan,” said Talia Minullina, Head of Investment Development Agency of the Republic of Tatarstan.

In addition to the planned increase in production capacities and contribution to business development in the region, over the past five years the company has significantly expanded its product line. Thus, the number of laminate flooring decors has increased from 45 in 2014 to 200 in 2019, and the number of Evogloss MDF panel decors, which were launched in 2015, has increased from 34 to 73. In addition, a new collection of Acrylic MDF wood boards was designed, currently presented in 14 decors.

“As of today, we are the largest site in Europe that manufactures MDF wood boards. We see our future in further development of our production, realization and implementation of the newest technologies in the wood processing field, ecology, professional growth of our employees. Investments in the Alabuga SEZ will be continued. We plan to invest in other regions of Russia for the next ten years in accordance with the plan of strategic development,” said Ali Kılıç, General Director of Kastamonu in Russia.

Reference

Kastamonu was established in 1969 as a part of the HAYAT holding. The company specializes in the manufacturing of MDF wood boards, particleboards, laminate flooring, door skin panels, and glossy panels. The consolidated turnover of the company amounts to €1.3 billion. The annual production of wood boards is 5 million m 3 , laminate flooring – 70 million m 2 . Kastamonu has 19 plants in 7 countries and enters the top five largest companies in the wood processing industry in Europe.

Kastamonu actively cooperates with FSC and WWF Russia, supporting and initiating environmental projects under the auspices of the world's leading environmental organizations. The company has repeatedly received awards and letters of appreciation from the World Wildlife Fund for this work, while in 2016 and 2017 it won the GoodWood environmental rating initiated by the Forest Stewardship Council.

Media Contacts

Kastamonu Press Service (AGT Communications Agency)

Alexander Klimov

Tel: +7(915)322-98-50

E-mail:: a.klimov@agt-agency.com

Other articles